Tuesday, October 3, 2017

I be Jahamming - Jamming stuff with a Ham radio

So I have been looking at playing around with the HackRF One for a while and seeing Calebs talk at DEFCON really got me itching to play, but was not quite sure where to start. After googling RF/HackRF,GNURadio 101 for a bit, I figured since I already have a Ham radio sitting around I would start with the frequencies available on my Ham and the stuff in my house. This gave me a something familiar to start with since everything was so new with both the HackRF, the software I needed to operate it "GNURadio", RF it self, etc. Here are just a few notes on my experiences so far..

First a few things to note about the HackRF, it leaks RF all over the spectrum. When I would do a sweep, on the frequencies my Ham could Rx/Tx on and then listen in on my Ham on the IDed frequencies it was nothing of importance. So I started a few very professional trial and error methods "moving around and tapping on the HackRF" and noticed a change in the white noise then when I unplugged it the Tx stopped. Also when you Tx on a frequency that the HackRF ins't already leaking on, then stop the program "GNURadio" the HackRF will continue to transmit on that frequency.

On to Jamming. First thing I wanted to mess with was my car, I don't know much about it but I am guessing it uses a rolling code so therefore replay was out, but jamming would be ok :) After a quick check of its FCC ID I found the frequency. To my surprise it was in the range of my Ham! First thing I did was listen to it on my Ham when I hit the lock button on my fob I could hear little beeps, my car locked and boy was I excited! So then I keyed up my radio and hit the lock button on my fob again, this time nothing!! I stopped Tx on my radio and I could once again lock my car. My Ham Tx was more powerful then the fobs Tx so it was jammed! 

Next up was a motorized bed we got a few years back. It has a remote to control the head, foot, and vibrate functions. It does not have an IR Led so I figured it must be RF. I opened it and there was an FCC ID. Again it was in the range of my radio! After listening to the beeps on my radio and getting a good message, I keyed up my radio and the remote stopped working, lol. 

Thats all I have for now, but there is more to come on this topic! One thing for sure, there are way more commercial products using Ham frequencies then I first originally thought, it should be fun breaking them.  I have had a blast so far and look forward to playing with the HackRF and my Ham more! Might make my own bed remote with a doggy style position/mode or something lol! Happy Hacking.


No comments: